The June monthly meeting was held using Zoom technology. The demonstration type was What’s on Your Bench, with two contributors, Joel LaFerriere and Gene Torrey.
Date: 5 June
Start Time: 10AM
End Time: 12 PM
- 182 Current Members, 14 Suspended status, 1 Pending, and 54 who decided not to renew.
Unchanged since last month.
- The BoD has suspended renewal for the next fiscal year. This means all current members membership will be extended into FY2021-2022.
- The BoD also decided to reduce new member dues to $25 for FY 2021-2022.
- Tim Jackson, past guild vice president, mentor to many, passed peacefully on June 1, 2021. View Obituary.
- Missing Email?: Help -> Fix My Email.
- Repurpose Committee – Matt (not present)
- Education Programs Committee- Joel
- Refer to Presentation Schedule.
- Mentor & SME Program, web site development is largely complete. The committee is working on final narratives and announcement messaging. Need to coordinate with emerging workshop management to develop cooperative programming.
- Recognition Committee – Jack (not present)
- Other Announcements
- HoCo Fair – new project submission timings, read more...
- Bain Center – Earl Saunders
- Guild Swag – Gene was sporting the Port Authority Silk Touch Polo with our logo, his name and “Board of Directors” embroidery. The vendor is awaiting our confirmation of product choices for the ecommerce website they will develop. Members should be able to navigate from the Guild’s website to their web storefront to choose products with our logo. They will have the choice to have the product shipped by USPS, or pickup at their brick-n-mortar store in Arbutus, just off 95 & 695.
- Workshop Coordinator status – H2 – three candidates have stepped forward. They will meet again with Gene to review next steps, including scheduling a meeting with past and candidate monitors to figure an opening schedule. Together, they will work with the Education Programs Committee to formulate safe operating methods and operations to enhance the workshop experience.
Joel (Education Programs Chair) coordinates: (view past Presentation)
What’s On Your Bench? – Joel and Gene present:
Joel – will show the progress on my home built router table. Second item: Joel will show how to introduce slight curves (pillow) to a rectangular piece of wood to soften the look of a piece of furniture.
Joel’s resource list is shown below. Please scroll down.
Gene – will show his method for making natural edge bowls, including using measurements to calculate how deep to turn the inside without turning through the bottom.
- Written Steps and interior bowl depth formula chart in PDF format.
- Video (on Youtube) showing the process.
Joel’s Equipment and Parts List:
- Switch – https://www.amazon.com/POWERTEC-71007-220V-Paddle-Switch/dp/B00KPEEPAW
- Double miter track – https://www.amazon.com/POWERTEC-71359-Aluminum-T-Track-Woodworking/dp/B07SSB76C3
- Drawer slides – https://www.amazon.com/Hardware-Extension-Bearing-Sliding-Drawer/dp/B086RGSMST
- Polyurethane casters – https://www.amazon.com/Homhoo-Swivel-Caster-Wheels-Casters/dp/B095M392N9
- JessEM router lift – https://www.amazon.com/JessEm-Rout-R-Lift-Router-10-Piece-Insert/dp/B07B8VQSRV
- Spoke shaves and blade
- Stanley 151 type, various manufactures . Get blade below:
- Lee Valley Spokeshave Blades – Item 05P3159, 2 1/8″ Spokeshave Blade, A2, $19.90
- Veritas Low-Angle Spokeshave – Item 05P3201, Veritas Low-Angle Spokeshave, A2, $74.00
- Card scraper – Super-Hard Milled Scrapers – Item 05K3003, .024″ (0.6mm) Super-Hard Scraper. $6.50
- Apron plane. Veritas.
- Veritas Apron Plane
- Item 05P2702, Veritas Apron Plane, A2 Blade. $99.00
- Block plane Stanley 60 1/2. Pick up at patina or on line