Shop Two-Month-Status 6/13/19- 8/16/19, includes Monthly Cleanup (8/14)
The list below summarizes the shop’s activity of the past two months.
Let me know if I’ve missed something or if a correction is needed.
List of this month’s maintenance activities
(outside of the monthly Cleanup)
M. Covington, D. Ekenrode, R. Fico, D. Farabaugh, M. Flecker,
M. Fradkin, J. LaFerriere, R. McGriff, F. Nastvogel, B.J. Noppinger
1. Grizzly planer: gear shift lock installed (June 14)
A CPVC tube was placed over the gear shift rod to lock the position
in the 16 FPM setting to avoid accidental shifting by hitting the
shifter with the dust bin.
2. JET bandsaw blade replaced twice, 3/16″ 10 TPI (June 22, June 28)
On both occasions, the users paid for blade replacement.
3. Powermatic jointer dust shoot cleared (June 28).
4. Doors completed for Chop Saw cart and Performax drum sander cart (Aug 7).
Doors to be hung at a later date.
5. Central VAC hopper cleaned twice (June 24, Aug 14).
6. Table saw fence fixed in order to allow it to lock (July 5).
7. Replaced free-standing filtered fan – Bain Center supplied the fan
8. Shop VAC filters changed (July 5).
9. Powermatic bandsaw blade (8/8″ 3 TPI) replaced twice: dull blade (July 9),
broken blade (Aug 6).
10. Performax drum sander drum roll abrasive replaced twice (July 9, Aug 6).
11. Delta-Rockwell Disk/Belt sander disk abrasive replaced (July 11).
12. JET bandsaw tires removed (July 11), and replaced (July 25), and bottom
wheel co-aligned with top wheel (July 25).
13. Bench #3 Vise reworked: removed, rust removed, painted, refaced and
reinstalled (Jul 24 – Aug 1).
14. Bench #2 Vise removed to be reworked (Aug 1).
15. Table Saw riser lubricated (Aug 5).
16. Jointer table surface polished (Aug 6).
17. Lower left bearing replaced on Powermatic bandsaw (Aug 8).
18. All four workbenches sanded and treated with wipe-on poly (Aug 8).
REMINDER TO ALL:
Please inform the Shop Coordinator before performing any work on
equipment. Bench #3 is slated to be reworked (flattened) and to
have a protective cover placed on it. This bench is intended for
use in demos and class work. It is the bench that also has casters
19. Bandsaw blades ordered and blades arrived for Powermatic and JET
bandsaws (Aug 16).
MONTHLY CLEANUP (CU) – 8/14/19
This month’s crew: D. Farabaugh, R. Fico
CU-1. Metal vise re-installed on Bench #1 in a different position to
avoid base handle from protruding beyond the edge of the bench.
CU-2. Delta-Rockwell Lathe V-belt popped link was inserted back into
CU-3. Bandsaw tires on both bandsaws were cleaned
(scraped with a plastic card).
CU-4. Outer filters of the JET wall-mounted units were replaced with
CU-5. Volatiles were removed from the red tool chest in the rear room.
CU-6. Power cover was removed from the Delta-Rockwell Disk/Belt sander
to determine the type of power needed. It’s three-phase. Power
needed for the disk/belt sander recently donated to the shop
anticipated to replace the Delta-Rockwell unit uses single-phase
CU-7. Walls and surfaces were vacuumed.