The Monthly Meeting will be Saturday, 11 February 2017 at Bain Center as usual.
The demonstrator this month will be Joe Gorleski – Veneering with a Vacuum Press.
Below, please find the order of presentation.
- Talk: When and how to flatten raw wood veneer – 7 minutes (showing examples of flat and non-flat veneer, show small example of a flattening jig)
- Talk: Quick recap of substrate types including advantages/disadvantages of each – 2 minutes
- Talk: Cold press veneer glue vs. plastic powdered resin veneer glue – 3 minutes
- Talk: Why use backer veneer and backer veneer options – 3 minutes
- Demonstration: cut the face and backer veneer to rough size – 4 minutes
- Demonstration: fix a veneer split – 3 minutes
- Demonstration: prep the substrate – 2 minutes
- Demonstration: apply veneer glue – 6 minutes
- Demonstration: vacuum press the panel – 8 minutes
- Demonstration: allow the panel to cure correctly – 3 minutes
- Show: a panel that has been cured and then trimmed with a table saw – 2 minutes
- Talk: edge options such as solid wood edge, edgebanding, routing options (with examples of each) – 10 minutes
- Talk: sanding a veneered panel – 2 minutes
- Talk: staining and finishing a veneered panel – 4 minutes
- Questions and answers – 10 minutes