Fundamentals of Woodworking class series
The Education Committee is pleased to announce a Fundamentals of Woodworking series of classes for beginners. No previous experience with woodworking is required. The class will be a hands-on format where the participants will each build a 14 in by 20 in. chair side table.
Our Guild member instructors are David Hickson, Mark Fradkin, and Joel LaFerriere. Other Guild members will also participate in the instruction.
There is no fee for the instruction. We want to collect in advance a $75 fee for high quality uniform materials. We will provide these materials as the class proceeds.
This first series of classes is limited to 4 participants. We encourage people to register as standby to aid in scheduling future classes.
- STEP ONE – MEMBERS ONLY – | New Member Info | Join Today
- STEP TWO – Wait for our “You are Registered” Confirmation Email.
If you are put on the Wait List – this helps us know that there is enough interest for a second class – don’t despair, register anyway. You don’t need to do anything else until we contact you..
- STEP THREE – Upon registration confirmation, follow the instructions in the confirmation message to prepay for materials.
The series of classes will cover safe operation of tools and general shop safety, basic design considerations, reading a drawing, and material preparation. For example: milling and sizing wood, layout of parts, cutting and fitting joints, and smoothing surfaces and finishing.
The series will be taught by Guild members and consist of 6 classes in successive weeks. All classes will be held in that same time slot on Mondays in the HCWG shop (directions). In addition to the classes the participants will be encouraged to watch some specified YouTube videos and do some work outside of class. The classes will be Mondays, from 4p. to 7p as follows:
- May 8, 15th, 22nd, skip 29th for Memorial Day, then June 5th, 12th, and last class on June 19th, 2023.
- The $75 material fee of $75 will cover the material (cherry Lumber), consumables and finishing materials.
- Participants will need to purchase a basic set of tools (a chart will be provided in advance). Estimated cost is about $200.
Information will be sent to participants on the types of tools, tool recommendations with pricing and what session they will be used.