Monthly Shop Cleanup Performed on 1/09/19 1:00 – 3:00 PM
(Actual time 1:00 – 4:00 PM)
Today’s cleaning crew:
What we accomplished:
1.Removed the resin from the bandsaw tires (lower and upper wheels) for both band saws. The tires were cleaned using CMT Orange 2050 cleaner and a sharpened plastic putty knife.
PLEASE MAKE AN EFFORT TO KEEP THE TIRES CLEAN AFTER EACH USE!
2. Swapped the table saw blade with a cleaned blade. The removed blade was cleaned of resin and placed back in the bottom of the red tool chest in the back room.
3. Wall-mounted JET air filters: inner and outer filters cleaned.
4.Cleaned central vac: First vacuumed the hopper using one of the shop vacs
with the new cyclone duststopper modification. Great way to go! Easily
emptied the duststopper vacuum 5-gallon bucket into a bag and good to go
for another round of vacuuming. Removed about 7 buckets worth of sawdust
before cleaning the bags. We used a different approach today to clean the
central vac bags. Instead of removing them, we cleaned them in place by
blowing them with air from the air compressor while also using the vacuum
cleaner (between the bags). While not as effective as removing the bags (we
weren’t able to get back to the second set of bags blocked by the first set),
we did manage to remove about 5 gallons of dust from the bags. We also used the central vac shaker feature to shake dust from the bags after cleaning the bags.
5. One of the tasks was to discard the hardware removed from the closet during last month’s clean up. That chore was completed yesterday.
6. The utility area that houses the central vacuum unit was thoroughly
cleaned by removing old plexiglass and plywood sheets. There were also
spare 4″ corrugated vacuum hoses that were cleaned, with the intent of
sorting which ones we’d keep and which ones we’d discard, but we ran out of
time. The hoses were placed back in boxes and into the utility area. We’ll
likely decide what to do with them during this month.
7. Installed new locking casters on the chop-saw cart. Locking three of the
casters is usually good enough to stabilize the cart for sawing. At this time,
the two front casters are locked as well as the right rear caster.
PLEASE REMEMBER TO UNLOCK THE CASTERS IF THE CART NEEDS TO BE REPOSITIONED!
8. Installed a new V-belt on the Delta-Rockwell Lathe. The old one was
removed two days ago because of worn and split links.
ONLY TWO PULLEY POSITIONS (SHOWN ON A CHART TAPED TO THE LATHE) SHOULD BE USED TO AVOID BELT WEAR.